There are a plethora of innovative methods to get things done in today’s world, hair removal included. Shaving, tweezing, threading, waxing, bleaching, etc. are some of the many ways to get rid of or reduce unwanted body hair.
These options may sound appealing at first because of their quick and affordable procedures. But, they may not provide long-term benefits and may end up being more costly and time-consuming in the long run. Hence, Laser Hair Removal!
Laser treatments for hair removal are used for both cosmetic and medical reasons. You may not want to make frequent waxing appointments, or you may have a medical problem such as folliculitis or hirsutism- it will help you either way.
Let’s understand how laser hair removal works to gain better knowledge of laser hair removal side effects, risks and benefits.
What is laser hair removal treatment and how does it work?
Laser hair removal is a non-invasive procedure that targets the melanin in the hair follicle using focused light energy. The pigment (melanin) in the hair absorbs the light emitted by a laser. This damages the follicle, and its ability to develop is inhibited when light is absorbed.
Things to remember:
- During the procedure, no harm is done to the skin.
- The best effects come from a series of sessions spaced out over several weeks.
- Laser hair removal can be done on the face, legs, abdomen, arms, underarms, back, chest, and bikini line, among other parts of the body. Although, the area around the eyes is off-limits.
Why opt for laser hair removal treatment?
Compared to other methods of hair removal, laser hair removal treatment has several benefits. Here are a few laser hair removal treatment benefits that might help you reconsider shaving or waxing.
- It’s convenient: Compared to other hair removal methods, it is done faster. Furthermore, hair removal of the upper lip, underarms and/or legs will take no more than 15 minutes.
- Reduces ingrown hair: Ingrown hair shows up when the hair has been broken off unevenly when shaving or waxing. But with a laser, this will not be a problem since you are targeting the root of the hair.
- Long-lasting results: Despite the fact that laser treatment is not permanent, with a few sessions, you can keep hair from growing back for a few months or even years. So you don’t have to make waxing/shaving appointments every other week.
- It’s cost-effective: If you decide to switch to laser hair removal treatment you don’t have to worry about buying hair removal products every other month, like depilatory creams, razors, etc.
- It’s precise: Laser hair removal is perfect for people who want to remove a few specific hairs. Unlike waxing, by targeting specific locations, the surrounding area will be left untouched.
Laser hair removal side effects and risks
The risks of laser hair removal are minimal, and you can have this treatment performed at any time of day. Listed below are some of the possible side effects you can expect.
- Redness and irritation
- Swelling around the hair follicles
- Pigment alterations
*The majority of side effects are minimal and only last a short time. Anyone with long-term side effects like burns or blisters should see a dermatologist immediately.
In conclusion, laser hair removal treatment is a cost-effective, time-efficient solution to get rid of unwanted hair. If you’d like to consult a specialist about your concerns regarding the procedure or the cost of laser hair removal treatment 一 Ayu Health Hospitals can help. Call us at +91 – 6366 100 800 or visit our website to book an appointment!
About the Author
Dr. Rachana Shilpakar
Dr. Rachana Shilpakar is a dermatologist with over 12 years of experience in the field. She has experience in clinical & aesthetic dermatology & she is well versed with all procedures & lasers. She is specialized surgeon in Dermatology